Monday, November 9, 2009

Terrible loss

When I worked as a pro audio salesman, I dealt with some very needy, annoying customers, but was also lucky enough to deal with some really great people. One of those people was James Murphy. As a customer, he was handed to me when a coworker left, and I only knew James from his label, DFA Records. About four months in to our relationship, I learned he was also the James Murphy that mixed one of my favorite albums ever, "Futureworld" by Trans Am. Not only is James a great guy, but incredibly talented as well, as demonstrated in his work with LCD Soundsystem.

James and some guys would pop in to the store every now and then, rampage through, grabbing goods for their tour, and treating me extremely well. For some reason, I always seemed to be stuck in the drum department with Jerry, the drummer for
 !!! (Chk Chk Chk) at the time. I learned about Jerry Fuchs as time went by, and he was always one of the nicest guys out of the DFA crew, who were all nice guys.

Jerry did some graphics work for
Chunklet Magazine , another fabulous production. Jerry also did some freelance work for Entertainment Weekly, and was a hell of a drummer. Unfortunately, I have to put that statement in past tense, as Jerry Fuchs died early Sunday morning after falling down an elevator shaft at a benefit party in Brooklyn. You can read a better synopsis of Jerry Fuchs's life on Chunklet, they do a great write up on him. I barely knew the guy; I just sold him some stuff from time to time. Still, he was a great guy, and I know that a lot of great people (James and the entire extended DFA family) will be suffering with this for a long time. My thoughts and prayers are with Jerry's family, and anyone that knew him. Even though my time with him was brief, it was always a pleasure to see him, and I know he had that affect on just about everybody he met.

Rest peacefully, Jerry.   

No comments:

Post a Comment